Thursday, May 26, 2011

Beautiful Smile

When I think back to Isabella's short time here with us, I think of all of the many things that she had to go through. She was born with Hip Dysplasia, which basically means that her hips were dislocated and underdeveloped. This was detected at birth and is common in first born female children.

From 6 weeks on Isabella was in and out of the hospital for ultrasounds and x-rays to determine if her condition was improving or not. This included waking her up out of her sleep and bringing her to the hospital for early appointments. In true Isabella fashion, she did it with a smile. I cannot believe how brave and cooperative she was through all of that commotion. I am so proud of her. As if that wasn't enough, she had to wear a harness, which restricted her leg and hip movement. She had to wear the harness for 23 hours a day for the first nine months of her life. Basically she was only able to kick her legs in the bathtub or during diaper changes. Once again, she went through this with a huge smile on her face.

Isabella always had that beautiful smile on her face. She loved life, loved her family and never complained or fussed no matter what was thrown at her. I am trying to learn from her example and to trust that everything will be okay. Isabella, you are who I aspire to be like. Mommy has never been more proud of you. You are my best friend and for that I am truly blessed.

Missing you always!

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Sounds like she went through a lot but was a very positive and happy baby girl!!

michelle said...

She really did look like a very happy child, part of that was also cause she had a great Mom

Lucy said...

Isabella's happy demeanor and gorgeous smile were just a few of the incredible things about her. It is amazing that an 18 month old child can teach grown adults so many important life lessons. She truly is so beautiful on the inside and the out. She is a true inspiration to all of us and you should be proud. You raised an amazing daughter who learned many of her wonderful characteristics from her remarkable parents. We are all truly blessed to have had her in our lives. I miss and love you so much Bella.

Angie said...

Marisa,
I love your post today. Isabella's beautiful smile is what will stay with me forever. Like I said in another one of my posts, I would kiss her gorgeous cheeks over and over and she just let me do it. She never complained or cried. I guess she was thinking "let's just get this overwith". She made me so happy to be able to shower her with my love.

She has taught me that you've just got to take whatever comes your way and put a beautiful smile on your face. I try to be just like her everyday and not let petty things get me down. Thank you my love, for teaching me such a valuable lesson and for all the love you filled my heart with.

Love always and forever,

Angie

Christine Cosentino said...

Your post made me smile today. You're so right - that kid didn't make a fuss about being strapped in, EVER! I remember how she always needed to be facing outward though, she had to see everything that was going on.

She's been on my mind a lot this week...

little miss Éva said...

She is truly an inspiration, and so are you and Frank. Her light shines so brightly and she definitely makes this world a better place with her grace :)

marisa said...

Thank you everyone for all the kind words and support. I truly appreciate people taking thier time to read about Isabella and how missed she is. Isabella is very loved and for that I am forever appreciative.

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing her in her straps for the first time, and she seemed so happy in them! Not a care in the world little one :) She was as happy as can be. We miss her and love her.

Susan said...

After Catherine died, I began to reevaluate things she suffered whilst alive - which in fairness, wasn't a huge deal.... but I find even small disappointments and difficulties now seem augmented and cruel. When their lives were so short, they should have been perfect to compensate. The real cruetly is of course their death - I think anything else we could have battled through together. xx